Thursday, August 9, 2007

The OC redux

In other summer television watching, I've restarted The OC from season 1. It only took a few months since the series finale for me to get nostalgic for it. It doesn't feel that long ago, but back then Seth was making jokes about Friendster as Myspace wasn't even a thing yet. And I was making excuses that I had to watch because it was about my hometown, but that didn't last long. No apologies here. (Except for the stream of Orange County-sullying reality shows that followed.) The show deserves some credit for legitimizing made-up words in popular lexicon, for making nerds hot(ter), and for giving a spotlight to deserving bands--even to the point of overexposing Imogen Heap and Death Cab--while evolving the relationship between mainstream and independent media. I mean, who'd have ever thought you'd hear Fredo Viola soundtrack an earthquake in Newport Beach? By the way, I first heard this song on a mix from miss LL and subsequently discovered some alternate mixes:

mp3: Fredo Viola - The Sad Song (Caetano Velocity Mix by LowLiFi)
mp3: Fredo Viola - The Sad Song (Bipolar Remix by Ice Cream Creatures)

As I write this, the girls keep convincing the boys to start watching, and the boys are always won over despite their resistance. (Now if we can just get our dvds back.)

No comments: