Wednesday, September 19, 2007

pulverizing

Perhaps old news to some, but new news to me is that Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange will star in an adaptation of Grey Gardens for HBO. I think I approve. Although I happen to think Mitch would actually do well at playing--and dancing--Little Edie. Can't you just imagine her doing that flag dance?! For the few in the world who are unfamiliar with her, my heart aches for you. Oh how I miss that girl.



And for the few who are unfamiliar with those Beales, see here.
Seeing Grey Gardens on Broadway on my last NYC visit and the original 1976 documentary changed me. I am just amazed by Little Edie and the range of responses she elicits from me (admiration/sorrow/hilarity/frustration/...) and of course as a psychologist-in-training I find it fascinating how the Edies ended up where they did. Now let's all watch one of my favorite bits of Little Edie and her revolutionary costume:



mp3: Rufus Wainwright - Grey Gardens
mp3: Stars - The Woods (Have you ever noticed Little Edie's monologue about her lost scarf on this track? Haunting.)

No comments: